BEHAVIOR AND MENTAL HEALTH
Watch the following video to get an idea of how students can easily experience learned helplessness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFmFOmprTt0 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
In the following learning module you will review how psychological disorders are diagnosed by symptoms with a focus on three disorders: panic disorder, major depression, and undifferentiated schizophrenia.
http://www.wadsworthmedia.com/psychology/PsychStudy/learning_modules/Disorder_Symptoms.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Different therapeutic approaches.
There are a variety of different approaches to therapy. This learning module will help you to better understand the various types of therapy.
http://bcs.worthpublishers.com/webpub/Ektron/Myers Psychology in Everyday (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
http://courses.bfwpub.com/arga/PsychSim_ARGA2/06_mysteryClient/index_angel.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
1. Give an example, other than what the instructor or students gave in the video, of learned helplessness. Then, give an example that is related to something that you have experienced.
2. There is a stigma attached to having a psychological disorder. Why do you think this is? What are your thoughts on individuals who have a psychological disorder?
3. Not all psychological disorders are the same. Some psychological disorders can have more of an impact on an individual’s daily life (e.g., getting dressed, shopping for groceries, going to work) than others. What are three (3) activities (other than those I just listed) that individuals with more severe psychological disorders (e.g., major depression or schizophrenia) might struggle with in their daily living? List the three activities and then explain how characteristics of a particular disorder might affect how an individual would perform the activity.
4. Individuals with a psychological disorder can develop learned helplessness. How does this happen? How might this affect their ability to manage (seek out and get treatment for) their disorder?
General example –
Your example –
5. How does medication help in treating panic disorder, major depression, and undifferentiated schizophrenia? What do researchers believe the medications do in the brain to help with EACH of these issues?
Panic disorder –
Major depression –
Undifferentiated schizophrenia –
6. What are the advantages and disadvantages to using medications to treat mental health issues? Please provide two (2) advantages and two (2) disadvantages.
Advantage 1 –
Advantage 2 –
Disadvantage 1 –
Disadvantage 2 –
7. How important is a proper diagnosis? Should just anyone be allowed to make a diagnosis? If a student takes a psychology class, should he/she be allowed to make a diagnosis?
8. Sometimes different clinicians/psychologists/therapists come up with different diagnoses for the same individual. How could this happen? What could happen if an individual is given a wrong diagnosis?
9. There are various types of therapies, what are some common themes that exist within the various types? Why might one therapy be better than another?
10. Explain why doing this assignment is helpful in developing a better understanding of psychology (scientific study of behavior and mental processes).