Week 2 Content Review
- Respond to each item. Each response should be concise and between two and three paragraphs in length.
- Use MS Word to write your responses, and submit your answers to all three questions in one Word document.
- Copy and paste each question within the document, so that your Instructor can see which question you are responding to.
- Many children face serious stress in their family environment. See pages 534-540 in your course text. Describe three signs that demonstrate a young child might be experiencing mental/emotional stress due to factors outside his/her early childhood setting and consequently might need special attention. What might early childhood professionals do in cases such as this to help alleviate a child’s stress?
- As you have been learning, early childhood educators have a responsibility to help provide mentally/emotionally healthy environments for children, themselves, and their colleagues. Drawing on Section 15.4 in your course text, define what you consider to be a mentally healthy early childhood environment. What specific stressors might you expect to find in an early childhood setting? How might you alleviate these stressors?
- Refer to Section 10.4, “Recording Health Status of Children” (pp. 374-378), in your course text. Summarize the pros and cons of three different health status recording methods described in your readings. What challenges might early childhood professionals face in recording health observations in their settings? What solutions can you suggest for overcoming these challenges?
Robertson, C. (2016). Safety, nutrition, and health in early education (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Wadsworth/Cengage Learning