SOCIAL STRUCTURE AND SOCIAL INTERACTION
Due Week 6: 110 points
You’ve learned how important groups, roles, statuses, and social networks are in the structure of society. In this assignment, you will complete a short answer activity in which you’ll demonstrate what you’ve learned by identifying and describing examples from your own life. Use the Assignment 2 template to complete this assignment
YOUR STATUS SET, ROLES, AND ROLE PROBLEMS
1) Status Set:
a) List five statuses that you currently have.
• Remember: A status is simply a position you fill in society. It may be a job title, but it could also include a position you fill within a family or a community. For more information, review Section 4.3 in your webtext.
b) Label each status as either ascribed, achieved, or master.
• Remember: An ascribed status is one you’re born with and have no control over. An achieved status is reached through your own efforts or simply good or bad luck. A master status is so important that it overrides your other statuses. For more information, review Section 4.3 in your webtext
efforts or simply good or bad luck. A master status is so important that it overrides your other statuses. For more information, review Section 4.3 in your webtext.
a) Choose one status from your list.
b) Describe the role that is associated with the status.
c) Describe how you learned that role.
• Remember: A role is the behavior expected of someone with a certain status. For more information, review Section 4.4 in your webtext.
3) Role Conflict:
a) Describe a time when you experienced a conflict because of the demands of two different roles associated with any of your statuses.
b) How did resolve the conflict? (Discuss any conversation or social interactions you had.)
c) List any active listening skills you used to resolve the conflict. If you didn’t use active listening skills, then list the skills you could have used to resolve the conflict.
• Remember: Refer to the active listening skills checklist in page 2.10 in your webtext.
4) Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Use the Assignment 2 template to complete this assignment.
• References are not required for this assignment as you will use your webtext.
• Be sure to include your name and the date on the cover