Select an activity that puts yourself outside of your normal environment. Notice others who may be different from the majority. This activity must be approved by your instructor. For example attending a public meeting, visiting a nursing home, helping a stranger in an everyday situation, or other settings where others can be observed that is outside your normal environment.
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word response to the following questions in complete sentences:
- Describe the activity you chose and why?
- What type of place did you choose to experience and why?
- What did you observe?
- What did you find surprising or unexpected?
- Did you feel comfortable or uncomfortable? Why?
- Did this experience change your views about the people whom you observed? If so, how?
- What did you learn from this experience?
- How could your workplace benefit because you had this type of an experience?
- Why do you feel that employers would seek and value employees with this diverse experience?
- Identify at least two reasons why organizations benefit from having a diversity-conscious culture.
- Prior to this experience, did you have a stereotype of the people you observed in this activity?
- Identify any social barriers you observed, such as limited perceptions, stereotyping, prejudices and discrimination.