Week One Quiz
- The following are six major lifespan development theories discussed in the text. Match the name of the theory with the description.
- Behaviorism and Social Learning
- Piaget’s Cognitive-Developmental
- Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience
- Evolutionary Psychology
- Ecological Systems
____ Seeks to understand the adaptive value of cognitive, emotional, and social competencies.
____ Argues that children actively construct knowledge as they manipulate and explore their world, claiming that there are four distinct stages of development.
____ Studies the relationship between changes in the brain and a person’s cognitive processing and behavior patterns.
____ Views the person as developing within a system of relationships affected by the environment; for example, home, school, neighborhoods, and culture.
____ Emphasizes objective, observable environmental influences on overt behavior; nurture is more important than nature.
____ Suggests that unconscious forces act to determine personality and behavior. This is a belief that people move through qualitatively changes as they mature. Examples include psychosexual stages and psychosocial stages.
- Describe the major principles of a lifespan development theory, in 200-300 words.
III. You hypothesize that there is a relationship between playing violent video games and violent behavior. Using a research method from the text, discuss how you might find out whether your hypothesis is accurate, in 300-400 words.
- You have curly hair. Your mother and father have straight hair. Explain how this is possible based on the concept of dominant and recessive inheritance, in 200-300 words.
- Jordan is an exceptional athlete. Explain how his athletic abilities were influenced by heredity and environment in 200-300 words.
- Cindy is 16 and pregnant. Given what you know about a teenager’s lifestyle, what potential teratogens—environmental agents that cause damage during the prenatal period—might influence fetal development? Describe the five teratogens.